Professional Independent Artist
Direction des Affaires Culturelles
Le Winter Palace
4, boulevard des Moulins
MC 98000 MONACO
Department of Cultural Affairs :
(+377) 98 98 83 03
Fax : (+377) 93 50 66 94
Opening Hours : from 9:00am to 6:30pm from Monday to Friday
Act no. 1.360 of 04 July 2009 concerning support and social protection for professional self-employed artistsstates that performers and people that fall within the scope of Act no. 491 of 24 November 1948 concerning the protection of literature and works of art who practice their activity in a continuous, habitual manner for profit with no relation to legal subordination are considered as professional independent artists (APIs).
In order to be recognised as a Professional Independent Artist (API), you need to contact the Department of Cultural Affairs.
A printed form is available from the Department of Cultural Affairs or it can be downloaded. See the procedure: "How to set up as a professional independent artist"
Applications are processed by the support commission for professional independent artists (Commission de soutien aux API).
If your application is accepted, you will receive a letter explaining the steps to take in order to obtain an official declaration of this status.
Once you have received the acceptance letter from the Commission, you must:
- Register your activity with Monaco Statistics , in order to be allocated a Statistical Identification Number (NIS), which is used for official categorisation and statistics
- Declaration of existence of the company to the Department of Tax Services
- Pay social security contributions to the independent workers’ social security and retirement funds for the self-employed - CAMTI-CARTI
Grant for setting up
The State has set up a support initiative for first-time applicants for API status.
See the procedure "How to request a grant for setting up as a professional independent artist"
- Ministerial Decree no. 2009-637 of 17 December 2009 pertaining to grants for the establishment of professional self-employed artists
- Ordinance no. 2.317 of 31 July 2009 implementing the Act no. 1.360 of 04 July 2009 concerning support and social protection for professional self-employed artists)
- Act no. 491 of 24 November 1948 concerning the protection of literature and works of art
- Act no. 1.360 of 04 July 2009 concerning support and social protection for professional self-employed artists