Institut Monégasque de la Statistique et des Etudes Economiques
9 rue du Gabian
MC 98000 MONACO
Monaco Statistics :
(+377) 98 98 98 88
Fax : (+377) 98 98 87 59
Opening Hours : from 9.30am to 5.00pm from Monday to Friday
The Statistical Identification Number (NIS) is a unique identifier allocated by the Monegasque Institute of Statistics and Economic Studies (Monaco Statistics) when a business is established. The NIS is the new appellation of the DSEE number or VAT code which was allocated by the Statistics Department of the Business Development Agency.
The NIS is composed of two parts: an NAF code (French Classification of Activities, Revision 2, 2008), and a unique sequential number. The NAF code is an alphanumeric code assigned by Monaco Statistics to each economic entity: natural person, company or association to indicate its main business activity.
The allocation by Monaco Statistics, for statistical purposes, of a code which characterises the main activity with reference to the French classification of economic activities is not sufficient to create rights or obligations in favour or against the concerned entities. It is the object of the company which determines the lawful activity. The NAF code is only a statistical industry classification.
Economic actors affected by the NIS
The following types of activity require an NIS:
- Licensed professionals
- Groups, associations, federations and foundations
- Promoters of artistic activities
- Grantors of operating licences for trademarks registered in Monegasque territory
- The following real estate activities:
- Rental of enclosed storage areas/parking spaces for vehicles or vacant commercial, industrial or administrative premises
- Properties in shared ownership
- Managing private property of a legal body governed by public law
- A mandate for managing a building
- SAM, SARL, SCS, SNC, Natural Persons (PP)
- Craftsperson (AR), Administrative Offices (BA), PR (Professional activity)
- AC (Sales Agent)
Obtaining the NIS Register
You must proceed to your statistical registration (NIS) when you start a business in the Principality.
This registration will be requested for your procedures with other Administrative services and public bodies (Department of Tax Services, Department of Employment, Monaco Social Funds) and also for :
- Obtaining a telephone line from Monaco Telecom
- Subscribing an electricity contract from SMEG
- Open a bank account from a financial institution
- Withdrawing your recommended Post folds
Amending the NIS Register
- Any change to the information concerning individuals or their businesses declared during registration must be reflected via an amendment or addition to the NIS Register within 30 days of the change in circumstances occurring.
See the procedure: How to request an amendment or addition to the NIS Register
- If you want to change the NAF code of your activity, considering that it does not (or no longer) relate to its main activity, you can contact Monaco Statistics specifying your company’s name, your RCI registration number and the concerned establishment or your NIS.
Removing a business from the NIS Register
The economic players must proceed to the radiation of their activity at "the NIS Register" within 2 months following the closure of their business.
See the procedure: How to remove a business from the NIS Register
- Ministerial Decree no. 2013-234 of 22 April 2013 establishing the Statistical Identification Number Register (NIS)
- Ordinance no. 3.095 of 24 January 2011 establishing the Monegasque Institute of Statistics and Economic Studies and of The Scientific Council for Statistics and Economic Studies
- Ministerial Decree no. 66-055 of 09 March 1966 attributing a reference number to industrial, trade, commercial and other establishments and rendering the use of this reference number obligatory for official categorisation and statistics