How to establish a commercial agency
9, Rue du Gabian (1er étage)
MC 98000 MONACO
Welcome Office :
(+377) 98 98 98 98
Fax : (+377) 98 98 48 70
Opening Hours : from 9.00am to 5.00pm from Monday to Friday
Principle and conditions
Companies or corporations whose headquarters are located abroad can establish a branch office or commercial agency in order to carry out commercial activity in Monaco.
To do so they must first obtain authorisation from the Minister of State.
Commercial agencies are recorded on the Trade and Industry Registry.
Obtaining and completing the forms
To get the forms you can either:
Download them here
- Or collect them from the Business Development Agency
Collating the documents
Documents to be provided:
- The completed form “Application for permit to carry out a business activity in the Principality of Monaco”
- Copy of the registration of the parent company on the Trade Register stating the objects of the company and a translation of this document into French if necessary
- A document giving financial information about the parent company, showing the date of establishment, the main activities carried out, the country of location, the true beneficial owner and the personnel employed
- A copy of the minutes of the board meeting or general assembly of the parent company where the decision to open the branch, administrative office or representative office was made. The minutes should also name the person who will act as the company’s representative
- Completed form giving the personal information of the designated representative of the parent company in question. This form is available from the Business Development Agency or on the Government website
- A copy of the residence permit, ID card or passport of the representative
- Representative's applicant's copy of criminal record, not more than three months old
Applying for a business permit
The application for a business permit must be submitted to the Business Development Agency.
The statutory period for review of the application is three months from notification of its eligibility.
Registration and formalities
Once authorisation has been issued, the commercial agency is registered on the Trade and Industry Registry.
The following formalities must then be completed:
- Registration on the NIS (Statistical Identification Number) Register with Monaco Statistics (Monegasque Institute of Statistics and Economic Studies). This number is used for official classifications and statistics and is necessary throughout the life cycle of your company (opening a bank account, establishing a telephone line, etc.)
All stages of post-authorisation procedures are described on the document attached – Post-authorisation procedures - hard copies also available in French, English and Italian at the MWBO