How to register a luxury chauffeur-driven vehicle
Service des Titres de Circulation
23, Avenue Albert II
MC 98014 MONACO CEDEX
Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office :
(+377) 98 98 80 14
Fax : (+377) 98 98 40 36
Opening Hours : from 9.30am to 5.00pm from Monday to Friday
Principe et conditions
Individuals and legal entities who are resident in the Principality and hold an administrative authorisation to operate a luxury chauffeur service may register and maintain a luxury chauffeur-driven vehicle.
Such administrative authorisation can only be issued to individuals who hold a specialist qualification in the field of tourism, passenger transport or trade, or, failing this, can prove that they have at least three years’ experience as a director or manager in a company operating in the tourism, passenger transport or trade sectors
Each administrative authorisation can stipulate the number of vehicles that the holder is allowed to operate (main vehicles).
Where the number of registered luxury chauffeur-driven vehicles is insufficient to meet commercial needs, hired vehicles, known as auxiliary vehicles, may be used up to a limit of one auxiliary vehicle for every two registered vehicles under a one-off or annual authorisation issued by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office. Details of the procedures are available in the following factsheets:
- How to request authorisation to use an auxiliary chauffeur-driven vehicle
- How to request an annual authorisation to use an auxiliary chauffeur-driven vehicle
Both main and auxiliary luxury chauffeur-driven vehicles must meet the following technical specifications:
- Have at least three doors with a minimum of four seats and a maximum of nine seats, including the driver
- Have a minimum overall length of 4.50 metres, an overall width of at least 1.70 metres and a doorsill height of less than 0.55 metres
- Have a minimum of nine horsepower (for petrol engines) or six horsepower (for diesel engines)
- Have a minimum power of 118 KW in the case of petrol-electric hybrids and 80 KW for diesel-electric hybrids
- Have a minimum power of 70 KW for electric vehicles
All registrations are recorded in a register of registrations, leading to the issue of a certificate and two registration plates (front and rear) with stickers.
The registration plates must be permanently fixed to the vehicle in the spaces provided for this purpose.
A set of small plaques indicating the luxury chauffeur service approval number will also be issued by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office when the main vehicles are registered. These must be affixed to the front and rear of the main vehicle, to the right of the registration plate.
The certificate and registration plates indicate the number assigned to the vehicle as well as the validity period of the registration, which will be until 31 December of the current year, or 31 December of the following year if the vehicle is registered between 1 October and 31 December.
Registration can be renewed for another year during the annual renewal period. See the following factsheet for details: How to renew your annual car sticker
In addition, vehicles are subject to a technical inspection at the Vehicle Testing Centre to check that the vehicle is suitable for the authorised purpose before it is put into service. This does not apply to new chauffeur-driven vehicles or those that have been on the road for less than a year. This is then carried out annually; the details are set out in the file: Technical inspection of vehicules
Should you fail to renew registration or validate the periodic technical inspection by the required deadlines, the vehicle will be deregistered in accordance with the conditions established by Ministerial Decree. The owner of the vehicle must then return the certificate and registration plates, and pay the relevant administrative fees as stipulated by ministerial decree. The vehicle is no longer authorised to drive on the roads.
Finally, a professional licence is required to drive a luxury chauffeur-driven vehicle in a professional capacity. Details of the procedures for obtaining licences can be found in the factsheet: How to request a professional licence
There is a fee associated with this service - Please see STC-Tarifs 2021 en vigueur
Formulating the request
The application to register must be sent to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office using the appropriate form, duly completed and signed.
The form may be:
Application to register a professional vehicle (STC007) (385-0040_03-2020)
Application to register a long-term rental vehicle (385-0046_01-2020)
Taxis - Véhicules de remise - Véhicules de service de ville - Attestation d'assurance (STC080) (385-0035_03-2017)
Application for WW MC – WW 2 MC temporary registration (STC024) (385-0020_01-2020)
- Collected from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office
Collating the documents
The application to register must be accompanied by the following documents:
- A copy of the Trade and Industry Registry dated of less than 3 months
- The original documents relating to the vehicle accompanied, if applicable, an official translation into French by a sworn translator at a court of appeal in Monaco or France, a list of which is available on the procedures: How to register a new vehicle and How to register a used vehicle
- The initial technical visit report accepted by the Vehicle Testing Centre with a validity of one year. This does not apply to new chauffeur-driven vehicles or those that have been on the road for less than a year
- The vehicle data sheet specifying its length and width, issued by the manufacturer
- The certificate of doorsill height issued by the manufacturer or a garage approved by the manufacturer of the vehicle
- An insurance certificate drawn up in accordance with the following model: Taxis - Véhicules de remise - Véhicules de service de ville - Attestation d'assurance (STC080) (385-0035_03-2017)
- The payment, to be made by cash, cheque or postal order (clearable in Monaco or France), made out to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office and Visa or Mastercard bank cards only, in accordance with the current fee schedule
Submitting the application
You should submit the complete application without appointment to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office.
The registration plates for vehicles from Monaco or France, a set of small plaques bearing the luxury chauffeur service approval number and a receipt for payment will be issued.
Collecting the certificate and registration plates
The certificate and registration plates, if applicable, are available within 72 hours of receipt of the file, at the reception desk of the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office on presentation of the payment receipt.
- Certificate of sale or transfer of a second-hand vehicle (385-0017_01-2019) 389 kB
- Application for WW MC – WW 2 MC temporary registration (STC024) (385-0020_01-2020) 375 kB
- Application to register a professional vehicle (STC007) (385-0040_03-2020) 448 kB
- Application to register a long-term rental vehicle (385-0046_01-2020) 520 kB
- Taxis - Véhicules de remise - Véhicules de service de ville - Attestation d'assurance (STC080) (385-0035_03-2017) 268 kB
- STC-Tarifs 2021 en vigueur 107 kB
- Ordinance no. 1.720 of 04 July 2008 relating to the regulation of taxis, chauffeur-driven vehicles, official city vehicles and motorcycles on request
- Ministerial Decree no. 2012-583 of 5 October 2012 relating to the annual maintenance declaration provided for in Article 38-4 of the Ordinance 1.720 of 04 July 2008 relating to the regulation of taxis, chauffeur-driven vehicles, official city vehicles and motorcycles on request, amended
- Article 103 of Highway Code
- Council Directive on the common system of value added tax
- Article 102 of Highway Code
- Ministerial Decree No. 78-5 of 09 January 1978 regarding motor vehicle registration