How to declare modifications to a vehicle
Service des Titres de Circulation
23, Avenue Albert II
MC 98014 MONACO CEDEX
Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office :
(+377) 98 98 80 14
Fax : (+377) 98 98 40 36
Opening Hours : from 9.30am to 5.00pm from Monday to Friday
Principle and conditions
Any significant modifications to a vehicle registered in Monaco resulting in a change to the technical characteristics mentioned on the registration certificate must be declared to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office so that this registration document can be amended.
In particular, a declaration must be made for the following modifications:
- Changes affecting the technical specifications (power, weight, dimensions, axles, braking, manoeuvring, steering and visibility devices, energy, pollutant emissions and noise, number of seats, etc.)
- The fitting out of a vehicle (campervan, ambulance, shop, extended cab, wheelchair transport, etc.)
- Modification or installation of bodywork (ambulance in a van, installation of a tipper, addition of a side-car, etc.)
- Equipping a vehicle to operate with LPG (liquefied petroleum gas) or the removal of this equipment
- Derestriction of a motorcycle from category A2 to A, undertaken by a professional
On the other hand, minor modifications, such as the installation of a car seat in a privately owned vehicle, the installation of a navigational aid system, the addition of decorative elements, when they do not reduce the driver's visibility, do not require an amendment to the registration certificate and do not have to be declared. Only a change of colour of a vehicle, which does not require a change in the registration certificate, must be reported to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office by email at the following address email@example.com or by post, specifying the characteristics of the vehicle.
There is a fee associated with this service - Please see STC - Tarifs 2021 en vigueur
Formulating the declaration
The declaration must be sent to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office using the appropriate form, duly completed and signed.
The form may be:
- Downloaded online: Various requests (385-0021_03-2020)
- Collected from the the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office
Collating the documents
Any declaration must be accompanied by the following documents:
- The original copy of vehicle’s registration certificate
- A copy of a valid ID document (ID card or national passport accompanied by proof of address, or residence permit), or for companies a copy of the Trade and Industry Registry dated of less than 3 months
- One of the following documents, as applicable:
- A bodywork certificate (Annex VII) issued by a bodywork specialist approved by the manufacturer
- The report of the initial conformity check of a vehicle (annexe III) issued by a bodywork specialist approved by the manufacturer
- The report of individual or single vehicle type approval issued by the Regional Directorate for Environment, Urban Planning and Housing of the Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Region (DREAL PACA)*
- The payment, to be made by cash, cheque or postal order (clearable in Monaco or France), made out to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office and Visa or Mastercard bank cards only, in accordance with the current fee schedule
* The procedures for making an appointment for individual or single vehicle type approval with the Regional Directorate for Environment, Urban Planning and Housing of the Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Region (DREAL PACA) can be found on the procedure: "How to request individual or single vehicle type approval"
Submitting the application
You should submit the complete application without appointment to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office. A receipt for payment will be issued.
Collecting the document
The new registration certificate will be available within 72 hours of receipt of the file, at the reception desk of the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office on presentation of the payment receipt.
- STC - Tarifs 2021 en vigueur 107 kB
- Sovereign Ordinance no. 8.025 of 26 March 2020 amending the Sovereign Ordinance no. 1.691 of 17 December 1957 regulating the traffic police (Highway Code), amended
- Ministerial Decree no. 2020-264 of 26 March 2020 pertaining to the individual or single vehicle type approval of any motor vehicle, trailer or semi-trailer, and any two-or three-wheeled vehicle